Installing CSF to prevent DDos Attacks
In this post i will describe how to install CSF (Config Server Security and FireWall) on the linux based Operating system.
A short description of CSF :
CSF provides security improvements and protects your server from various attacks including DDOS. It provides better security as compared to others and the mostly hosting providers are using it to secure their server from hackers. I recommend you to install it on your server whether it is VPS of Dedicated box.
- Login to you server through terminal with root privileges.
- Type following commands:
# rm -fv csf.tgz
# wget http://www.configserver.com/free/csf.tgz
# tar -xzf csf.tgz
# cd csf
# sh install.sh
- it will take less than 5 minutes to be installed completely, afterward you must run the following command to ensure the required iptables modules are installed to function properly:
# perl /etc/csf/csftest.pl
- And the report will be shown with the suggestions.
- Now just navigate to the directory where you have installed CSF by executing following command:
# cd /etc/csf
- And then open the configuration file in any editor, i will use nano by typing following command:
# nano csf.conf
- This will open csf.conf file that is configuration file for the CSF.
- Now find the testing mode in the starting of the file and replace the value 1 to 0 to disable the test mode and then restart the CSF by executing following command.
# /etc/init.d/csf restart
# service csf restart
Note: Use the CSF with default configurations, do not change them if you do not know what you are doing it may get you in trouble.
Now you server is secure from hackers and attackers….!
More detailed information can be found here :